Skip to main content

Book Review of "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi

29th June 2021: "When Breath Becomes Air" by Paul Kalanithi is the best book I have read hands down. I dare say that it's better than my old favourite by Oscar Wilde (though they're of different genre). It's the most irresistible page-turner simply because it is so authentic and I felt like I'm acquainted with Paul through the words he has written.

I decided to read this book after recounting my experience with ruptured appendicitis and navigating within the public hospital systems. Furthermore, I recalled several people recommending this book and for some reason, this book has been sitting on the top 10 charts for a long time in various bookstores.

Let me cut to the chase and share my thoughts about the book:

(1) Compassionate - Paul struck me as someone who was profoundly intellectual. It was only when I first read about his thoughts and what he did during his visit to a home for people who had suffered severe brain injuries (as part of the curriculum during his studies in medical school) that it occurred to me that he was a kind and compassionate person. As a younger person, we may be idealistic. With more life experiences, some may say people became more pragmatic (in the bad way). Based on the context of the book, I realised that it takes courage to be pragmatic too. 

(2) Deep sense of loss - Dark clouds loomed everytime I read. After all, Paul was extremely outstanding as a neurosurgeon and neuroscientist. I couldn't help but compared him to an acquaintance (who had led not just a colourful but Christlike life) who had gone too soon. Also it's like wondering when your very ill pet would pass away. It's depressing yet cathartic to know that Paul would have a good death as I read on.

(3) Death is a personal experience, just like falling in love and giving birth. I reflected upon how I felt when I first learned that I needed to go for a surgery for ruptured appendicitis. My emotions were up and down, even though it was relatively low risk and the healthcare practitioners were reassuring.

(4) "No system of thought can contain the fullness human experience" that is to say, science cannot explain hope, fear, love, hate, beauty, envy, suffering, virtue etc. Though Paul has spent a large part of his life "doing" science, it was his hope in the Lord that eventually granted him peace to deal with his own death (this is how I interpreted his narrative as a reader).

(5) Many healthcare workers are overworked. They've sacrificed what cannot be returned and that is Time. For high-stakes professionals, such as surgeons and neurosurgeons, they may even have to live their lives in guilt sometimes for the decisions or mistakes they made.

A fantastic read. I'll make it a point to read this (or part of it) every year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Perspective on CHC Fiasco

My personal perspective on the City Harvest Church fiasco: #1. God is omnipresent (present everywhere), omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and God knew about this episode. I believe God is watching.; #2. The CAD does not charge without concrete evidence (they have taken sufficient time to investigate - 2 years). May justice prevail.; #3. It is unavoidable for members of the public with little information about Christianity to judge.  It is also one of my weaknesses to be quick to judge/form negative impression about others, which is unhealthy.; #4. I believe to a certain extent, the message of giving and tithing is relatively strong in City Harvest Church - I may be wrong.  (fyi, I have visited the church a couple of times) My personal belief is that it is important to give to God because God is the creator of everything that exists. He owns everything and we are simply stewards of what we have been entrusted with.  Though I have to say I seldom give because I

Pledge "No" to Shark Fin Soup

Something to share... The Sharks died for you but you only consume their fins. I've pledge not to eat/drink Shark Fin Soup since 2009. I believe that raising awareness of the source of this delicacy will propel more people to make a conscious effort to stop their consumption, especially during Chinese wedding banquets. Yeah, I know that some of us might think that not much can be done and it is essentially a waste of food. However, why not think about it this way - when there is a drop in demand, there will be lesser restaurants/hotels serving this dish. Every effort counts and when it becomes a collective effort, we can begin to see a positive change. Additionally, I believe to affirm a conscious effort and remain faithful is to take a step forward to take a pledge. http://www.wwf.sg/take_action/sustainable_seafood/say_our_sharks/take_the_pledge/ Pam

Afterthought on by-election 2012

19th May 2012 WP 1st By-election Rally 24th May 2012 @ WP Final By-election Rally with Uncle Ah Luck & Auntie :) On 19th May 2012: I witnessed Uncle Ah Luck selling the Hougang Special By-election newsletters in a very enthusiastic fashion. So I asked Ah Luck whether he needed to have a sip of water. He replied he was fine. After that he said, we were doing was for a better future. He said, "... it is for you young ones who have many years ahead. I am old..." ... "You are important too!" said I. It was a pleasure to serve with the volunteers at the merchandise booth. Thank you. :) 26th May 2012 Before By-election result WP supporters were cheering! Then we were all anxious about the result... After the By-election result, The crowd outside Block 322 Hougang Avenue 5 coffee shop were rejoicing for WP! Big WP Flag at Block 309 The top picture depicts the crowd at WP By-election Rally in 201