Skip to main content

Mental Well-being

THANKSGIVING

If there's something for me to be grateful about 2020 thus far, it has to be my pregnancy and my company's decision to allow me to work from home (wfh) throughout this almost entire season.

When I discovered that I was pregnant in late January, my initial reaction was rather mixed.  I was feeling really glad but I was also very anxious.  Naturally, I am someone who worries.  Having read about miscarriages (where sometimes moms-to-be do not even know the cause of it) and the fact that my mother had 2 miscarriages before successfully birthing to me, my fears felt real.  

Hence, when the COVID-19 situation begins to worsen in February, it was to my relief that my company decided to allow me to wfh.  Not only that, I get to wfh till I go for my maternity leave.  At the earlier stage of my first trimester, I was unwell every now and then.  Furthermore, I was frequently concerned about falling down.  This is partially due to my natural tendency to walk fast and I have to constantly make a mental note to walk at a slower pace.  Also, I had to use the restroom quite often to empty my bladder and occasionally vomit (though most of the time it was just the feeling of nauseousness).  On top of all these, the requirements of my workload can be quite demanding.  People who have worked with me had mentioned that I have high expectations, hence, I could be putting undue stress on myself.  Being able to wfh has really helped me a lot with my mental well-being.

In addition, having gone through most of this pregnancy and knowing mostly what to expect, I think I am better prepared for my next pregnancy (prayerfully God will bless us with at least 1 more child) if I were to be at work full-time.  

DISCOVERY

I have also used the period to go for a few coaching sessions and these sessions have made me discovered some of my blindspots.  One of them being, feeling a sense of uselessness when I am not productive.  Nowadays I learned to let go and not be too harsh on myself.  I would do deep breathing / meditation / relaxation exercises whenever I feel anxious.  

HE HOLDS THE FUTURE

Some of the things that I used to hold on to somehow did not matter so much during the period that I wfh.  Things like how is my career going to be, am I lagging behind in terms of industry knowledge etc.  I think this season is really about having faith in God.  I believe He will guide me to where he wants me to bloom.  Regarding childbirth, I believe He will not bring me to a place where I cannot bear the pain.  

MENTAL WELL-BEING

Self-care is very important.  One of the things that I learned from my holiday in Finland is that there's nothing to prove to anybody.  Perhaps it was the fact that the Finnish society appeared to be more equitable than the one I live in.  I think really all it matters is that what I am doing glorifies the Lord's name. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Perspective on CHC Fiasco

My personal perspective on the City Harvest Church fiasco: #1. God is omnipresent (present everywhere), omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and God knew about this episode. I believe God is watching.; #2. The CAD does not charge without concrete evidence (they have taken sufficient time to investigate - 2 years). May justice prevail.; #3. It is unavoidable for members of the public with little information about Christianity to judge.  It is also one of my weaknesses to be quick to judge/form negative impression about others, which is unhealthy.; #4. I believe to a certain extent, the message of giving and tithing is relatively strong in City Harvest Church - I may be wrong.  (fyi, I have visited the church a couple of times) My personal belief is that it is important to give to God because God is the creator of everything that exists. He owns everything and we are simply stewards of what we have been entrusted with.  Though I have to say I seldom give because I

Pledge "No" to Shark Fin Soup

Something to share... The Sharks died for you but you only consume their fins. I've pledge not to eat/drink Shark Fin Soup since 2009. I believe that raising awareness of the source of this delicacy will propel more people to make a conscious effort to stop their consumption, especially during Chinese wedding banquets. Yeah, I know that some of us might think that not much can be done and it is essentially a waste of food. However, why not think about it this way - when there is a drop in demand, there will be lesser restaurants/hotels serving this dish. Every effort counts and when it becomes a collective effort, we can begin to see a positive change. Additionally, I believe to affirm a conscious effort and remain faithful is to take a step forward to take a pledge. http://www.wwf.sg/take_action/sustainable_seafood/say_our_sharks/take_the_pledge/ Pam

Afterthought on by-election 2012

19th May 2012 WP 1st By-election Rally 24th May 2012 @ WP Final By-election Rally with Uncle Ah Luck & Auntie :) On 19th May 2012: I witnessed Uncle Ah Luck selling the Hougang Special By-election newsletters in a very enthusiastic fashion. So I asked Ah Luck whether he needed to have a sip of water. He replied he was fine. After that he said, we were doing was for a better future. He said, "... it is for you young ones who have many years ahead. I am old..." ... "You are important too!" said I. It was a pleasure to serve with the volunteers at the merchandise booth. Thank you. :) 26th May 2012 Before By-election result WP supporters were cheering! Then we were all anxious about the result... After the By-election result, The crowd outside Block 322 Hougang Avenue 5 coffee shop were rejoicing for WP! Big WP Flag at Block 309 The top picture depicts the crowd at WP By-election Rally in 201