Skip to main content

To be, or not to be: that is the question.

Hi all,

Pleasant day!

This morning as I was reading this online article: Not all grassroots members are disgusting reminded me of some things I encountered.  As I have mentioned before, I have wanted to volunteer for Tampines Grove Resident's Committee and I have only attended a meeting as an observer last year.  My initial thought of volunteering is to understand if there is anything I can do about the housing issue that my family is plague with, as well as contributing to the community.  Perhaps the core motivation is for the sake of my family, as one would refer me as mentioned in point 3 of linked article, the hypocrite who wants to gain something in return. [The personal advantage: These people join grassroots for the perks.]  Frankly, my experience at the meeting was a neutral one.  I am certain that a lot of people among us, think for the future and prepare for the rainy day, that is what exactly I was trying to do.

When my parents finally become aware of our housing issue, living in a Studio Apartment with a total lease of 30 years; annual rental fee of about $2,000.00 they decided to alert me and make a trip to the MPS at Tampines Street 21, hoping to meet ex-Minister of National Development, Mr. Mah Bow Tan.  Unfortunately, he was not present and I wonder if he actually attends MPS usually.  I chanced upon another article: The 'Doctor' is in so that I can quote and unquote accordingly and to be unbiased, "Mr Mah said yes, he attends every session. As long as he's in Singapore, he would be there."   I shall give ministers the benefit of doubt based on the following reasons:

#1. They are not solely MPs who represent residents in their constituencies but are also ministers assigned to take care of a particular area/agency;

#2. They may be required to travel quite frequently;

#3. It was during the campaign period and therefore, ex-Minister Mr. Mah was at the MPS weekly (article was dated 29th March 2011); and

#4. Article was reported by The New Paper and therefore possibility of myopic media content.

Considering the abovementioned reasons, I try to balance my thoughts.  The helper whom I met on that fateful day was an individual in the law profession.  He gave a couple of meaningful suggestions which I will not deny but after some discussion with my parents, we have decided on an alternative plan to work through our situation.

With the General Elections over for about a month, I do not want to take things as they were before.  I do not want to remain as an ignorant Singaporean.  The General Elections has truly marked a turning point in my life.  It caused me to turn back time and relate the present to history, how history affects us now and most importantly, what we can do for our future generations.  I'm aware that significant changes take time and on my part, I am willing to participate actively to aid in this development (if I can find the avenue to do so).

Contrary to the relatively reasonable MPS I had experienced at Tampines Street 21, I had a little bit of confusion when I visited the Blk 140 Tampines MPS recently.  The helpers made me question are they actually PAP members or otherwise.  A friend has feedback to me that they could be friends, PAP members, RC members or even volunteers who don't belong to any party.  Why the need to question?  Because both the helplers seemed to be clueless about the policies intact for Studio Apartments.


To be, or not to be; that is the question.
Shakespeare's opening phrase for Hamlet was: To be, or not to be; that is the question.  Hamlet attempts to reason out whether the unknown beyond of death is any easier to bear than life.  I find the line very apt for this season of my life, in relation to my view of politics.  I believe that at this point, it is the best time to observe the different political parties; do not be too quick to judge (as I have urge myself), keep an open mind and be thankful that people of varied perspectives are willing to share.

Pam Petite

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Perspective on CHC Fiasco

My personal perspective on the City Harvest Church fiasco: #1. God is omnipresent (present everywhere), omnipotent (all powerful), omniscient (all knowing) and God knew about this episode. I believe God is watching.; #2. The CAD does not charge without concrete evidence (they have taken sufficient time to investigate - 2 years). May justice prevail.; #3. It is unavoidable for members of the public with little information about Christianity to judge.  It is also one of my weaknesses to be quick to judge/form negative impression about others, which is unhealthy.; #4. I believe to a certain extent, the message of giving and tithing is relatively strong in City Harvest Church - I may be wrong.  (fyi, I have visited the church a couple of times) My personal belief is that it is important to give to God because God is the creator of everything that exists. He owns everything and we are simply stewards of what we have been entrusted with.  Though I have to say I seldom give because I

Pledge "No" to Shark Fin Soup

Something to share... The Sharks died for you but you only consume their fins. I've pledge not to eat/drink Shark Fin Soup since 2009. I believe that raising awareness of the source of this delicacy will propel more people to make a conscious effort to stop their consumption, especially during Chinese wedding banquets. Yeah, I know that some of us might think that not much can be done and it is essentially a waste of food. However, why not think about it this way - when there is a drop in demand, there will be lesser restaurants/hotels serving this dish. Every effort counts and when it becomes a collective effort, we can begin to see a positive change. Additionally, I believe to affirm a conscious effort and remain faithful is to take a step forward to take a pledge. http://www.wwf.sg/take_action/sustainable_seafood/say_our_sharks/take_the_pledge/ Pam

Afterthought on by-election 2012

19th May 2012 WP 1st By-election Rally 24th May 2012 @ WP Final By-election Rally with Uncle Ah Luck & Auntie :) On 19th May 2012: I witnessed Uncle Ah Luck selling the Hougang Special By-election newsletters in a very enthusiastic fashion. So I asked Ah Luck whether he needed to have a sip of water. He replied he was fine. After that he said, we were doing was for a better future. He said, "... it is for you young ones who have many years ahead. I am old..." ... "You are important too!" said I. It was a pleasure to serve with the volunteers at the merchandise booth. Thank you. :) 26th May 2012 Before By-election result WP supporters were cheering! Then we were all anxious about the result... After the By-election result, The crowd outside Block 322 Hougang Avenue 5 coffee shop were rejoicing for WP! Big WP Flag at Block 309 The top picture depicts the crowd at WP By-election Rally in 201